Kansas Child Custody


Our child custody lawyer in Kansas answers frequently asked questions that we receive from new clients. We understand why there are so many questions, too, because there's a lot of misinformation about child custody. Plus, each state law varies significantly or subtly on child custody. We are here to dispel the misinformation, clarify misunderstandings, and provide the right information so you can make smart, informed decisions about your child and your unique situation.

If you still have questions or want more specific information about your child custody matter, contact the Shivley Law Firm, P.A. today either by using our online form or calling us directly at (785) 537-8415.

What is the most common child custody arrangement in Kansas?

Child custody arrangements vary from family to family and state to state. There are several arrangements that are possible, including joint legal custody, shared physical custody, and sole legal custody. Of these, joint legal custody is the most common custody arrangement. This is where both parents are involved in the decisions regarding how their child is raised. 

If we were never married, do I still need a custody order?

The answer to this question depends on your end goal. If you are seeking to establish any legal rights to the child, including custody, visitation, or child support, paternity does need to be legally established.  

How is child custody determined in Kansas?

In most states and most situations, when the parents of a child are able to agree on a child custody arrangement, the court will issue an order that confirms the terms of the agreement. When the parties are unable to reach an agreement on their own, they may have to attend mediation to see if that helps. When all else fails, the court will hear the matter and issue an order the parties must abide by. The court will consider testimony, the report of a court-appointed Guardian ad Litem that is looking out for the best interest of the child, and other evidence when deciding child custody. The best interest of the child is always the criteria the court uses in these decisions. 

What's the difference between legal and physical custody?

When a parent has physical custody, they actually have the physical child placed with them. This is the parent that lives with the child and takes care of their everyday needs. One parent may have primary physical custody while the other has Court ordered parenting time.

A parent that has sole legal custody is the one that is allowed to make important decisions about the child, including decisions regarding the child's medical care, education, and religious upbringing. Joint legal custody may be awarded to both parents so that they both have input in making these important decisions for their child.  

Does custody always go to one parent?

This is an incorrect assumption many people make. The answer is “no.” The truth is that courts can award other types of custody arrangements, such as joint legal custody with each one of the parents having primary residential custody subject to court-ordered parenting time for the non-residential parent. Some states do require a primary custodian, though, but that does not mean one parent gets full custody.

The courts always consider the evidence and the best interest of the child to be of paramount concern. 

Do I need a child custody lawyer in Kansas?

It's really up to you if you want a child custody lawyer. As for needing one, that depends.  

In many cases, parents mutually agree on child custody arrangements, and so that makes the matter easier. In some of those cases, though, a parent may have felt compelled to agree, so having a family law attorney advise you on what's fair (or not) is beneficial. In contentious situations, a child custody lawyer is highly recommended. It takes skill, knowledge, and a lot of perseverance to make sure the child custody arrangement approved or ordered by the court is in the best interest of your child and reflects what you had anticipated.

Contact a Child Custody Lawyer in Kansas Today

If you need help with a child custody case, contact the Shivley Law Firm, P.A. Our child custody attorney in Kansas will advise you of your rights and guide you through the process. Contact us online or at (785) 537-8415 to schedule a consultation.

Shivley Law Firm, P.A. Is Here for You

At Shivley Law Firm, P.A., I focus on Domestic Law, Estate Planning and Business Law, and I am here to listen to you and help you navigate the legal system.

Contact Me Today

Shivley Law Firm, P.A. is committed to answering your questions about Domestic Law, Estate Planning and Business Law issues in Northeast Kansas.

Schedule your consultation and I’ll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact me today to schedule an appointment.